Saturday, December 22, 2012

Looted Tanks WAAAGH!



Hello Wargamers!  I am glad that everyone survived the end of the world (12-21-2012).

MiniGamePainter specializes in miniature game painting, assembling, and custom converting.  Feel free to ask for a quote!!!  We always appreciate your comments and support.

Since blast templates are so much better in 6th ed. Warhammer 40k I started making some looted tanks with boom guns.  They tend to scatter a lot, but Orks never go they way you want.

My first one was a rhino conversion that I had in storage for a long time.  Originally, I only had a lascannon on top.  First, I swapped out the gun for a Imperial Guard Russ gun.  It looks much better.  The main issue was that the barrel was hitting the hatches on the front.  I cut some DVD plastic in little circles to raise the turret so it had some clearance.  After that I added the ork boy on top and then riveted some panels all over.  I forgot the name of the kit, but I put tank obstacles on the tank as well.











I saw the second one at a hobby shop and the scale was just perfect.  It is a WWII American tank.  I didn't want to chop up another $30+ rhino or even a $50 Russ tank.  It ended up costing $8 after my 40% off coupon.  Score!!!




First, the boom gun needed a lot more BOOM.  I used the plastic tubes from my dog's poop bag rolls to give the main barrel some extra dakka.  I put a rhino plow on the front and added some ork glyphs.  I have a lot of bits left over from my Dakka Jet kit so I added them on the back and turret.




All Ork vehicles pollute more than anything so I added some big exhaust pipes on the turret and the back.  Again, I used the plastic dog bag centers.  I used a drill to make some venting holes and a knife to cut the tips.



Next, I needed to put 2 big shootas.  The tank came with a hull mounted gun which I just shorted the barrel.  The second one I mounted to the top hatch.  The hatch that came with the tank looked really weird so I added a rhino hatch and search light.  I started adding panels on the sides spikes to give it more of a salvaged look.  I didn't like the rope and shovel equipment on the back so I cut it off and added rhino doors.  I noticed that the tank was really long so i cut the rhino plow off and mounted the spikes right on the front.  It's exactly the same size length and width of a GW battlewagon.







Lastly, I cleaned up some edges and added more spikes and rivets.  Then it was primed and painted.  I am trying to keep a red themed army.  Hope you enjoyed this cost effective conversion.  I liked these models so much that I plan on doing a Dakka Jet conversion from the same line of models.








No comments:

Post a Comment